The Hornbill Festival is held in the first week of December in the lap of Nagaland’s stunning natural beauty and offers a unique experience to everyone, be it photographers, food bloggers or plain travel enthusiasts.
Organised every year by the state of Nagaland to promote inter tribal interaction among the 17 tribes, the intent of this festival is to revive, protect and preserve the richness and uniqueness of the Naga heritage and promote tourism. Named after the famed Hornbill, the admiration for the bird is symbolically displayed on almost all traditional tribal head-gears worn during festivities.
Day 1: Guwahati – Kaziranga (5 hr Drive)
- Take the early morning flight to Guwahati .
- Afternoon, arrive at Guwahati airport , Lunch and transfer to Kaziranga National Park (250 kms / 05 hrs) by SUV.
- Check in at the very hospitable Kaziranga resort and overnight stay.
Day 2: Jungle Safari at Kaziranga National Park
- After an early wake up call, enjoy the wilderness of Kaziranga with an elephant safari in the central zone.
- After the ride drive to the Central Range (Kohora) of the park for a jeep safari.
- Post lunch, there will be another Jeep safari in the Western Range (Baguri) of the park.
- Evening at leisure & Campfire. Overnight at Kaziranga.
Day 3: Kaziranga to Khonoma (6hr drive)
- Post breakfast drive to Khonoma, enroute break at Dimapur (135 kms / 3 hrs drive) a commercial hub for Nagaland is a busy city, further drive to Khonoma ( 75 kms / 2 ½ hrs drive), the drive will take you through green mountains and hills of Nagaland passing small and tiny villages along the Dhansari river, reach Khonoma and over night at Home stay in Khonoma.
Day 4: Khonoma - Dzuleke- Khonoma
Khonoma village is located about 20 km from the state capital, Kohima, known as the first ‘Green village’ in Asia for it rich Culture, Traditional practices and Community initiated conservation of forest, The village, referred to as Khwiinoria (named after the Angami term for a local plant, Glouthera fragrantisima), is estimated to 500 years old. Khonoma village is known as the store house of scientific knowledge’s with traditional practices.
Walk around the village of Khonoma to see its Historical landmarks and cultural practices in the morning.
Post relaxed breakfast we travel to Dzuleke village one of the first community based ecotourism destinationin Nagaland via Alder based jhum cultivation sites and Khonoma Nature Conservation Tragopan Scanctury (KNCTS) site which is an initiative of the community to conserve its forest.
Lunch at Dzuleke village which will be hosted by Dzuleke Eco Tourism Board (DETB).
Return back to Khonoma Village. Night life at Thehou Ba, Dovipie Inn.
Day 5: Dzukou Valley Trek - 4 to 5 hr trek (2348 mts)
Have Breakfast and travel to Dzukou Parking site and start walking to Khonoma Dzukou for 4 to 5 hours crossing Transit areas of KNCTS to reach Dzukou. If luck favours we will be able to sight Blythe Tragopan the state bird of Nagaland. Lunch at Dzukou valley after a hard walk with the cool ice will an exotic experience.
Day 6: Khonoma – Kohima – Hornbill Festival
Organized every year by the state of Nagaland to promote inter tribal interaction among the 17 tribes, the intent of this festival is to revive, protect and preserve the richness and uniqueness of the Naga heritage and promote tourism. Named after the famed Hornbill, the admiration for the bird is symbolically displayed on almost all traditional tribal head-gears worn during festivities.
Day 7: Hornbill Festival
Attend Hornbill festival and experience the Heritage, Art, Music, Dance of various Naga Tribes. There are plenty of places to shop in the near by area and relish the local food.
Post afternoon we visit the local market in Kohima and also attend the Rock Concert.
Day 8: Kohima to Guwahati (9 Hr Drive)
- Post breakfast, drive to Guwahati (425 kms / 09 hrs drive).
- Reach Guwahati and overnight stay in Hotel.
* If time permits go for the evening sunset cruise on the Brahmaputra.
Day 9: Departure back home
- After breakfast drive to airport for back to Mumbai.